Friday, August 7, 2009

The Whole Truth

8-5-09

Mr. Crud and I take a much-needed jaunt to the coast courtesy of Kjirsten, girlfriend from way back when, whose folks own a house near Long Beach. Kjirsten and her fella have two adorable little ones and the other couple staying for the weekend have two of their own. We are the childless couple. I don’t feel weird about this fact thanks to my own houseguest a.k.a. Purvis. I enjoy watching the little ones frolic and non-sequitur and shine their cute lights for all to see.

When Mr. Crud and I are alone I say, “I can’t wait for it to be our turn to have the cute kid and to tell all the cute kid stories.”

“Me too.”

“I feel like we’ve done our time watching and listening. It’s our turn.” When talk turns to cute kid stuff, I have a wealth of stories to share courtesy of my nieces and nephews. Still, I feel left out.

Later that night after the booze starts flowing (but not pour moi bien sur), the adults are standing around the kitchen.

The lady half of the other couple smiles at us. “I’m so happy for you. It’s so great. I don’t know many people who are just starting to have kids right now.”

Mr. Crud and I exchange the ritual do-we-or-don’t-we look.

“Yeah, well, it’s kind of been a long road for us,” Mr. Crud says.

I nod. To bum out or not to bum out that is the question. Since the mood is light, we silently agree to let it go and accept her congratulations without too much explanation.

“Thank you. We’re really excited too.” I say, lustily eyeing the bottle of scotch on the counter. I don’t even like scotch. At least liquor is no longer repulsive to me. That’s a good thing, right?

One of the woman’s daughters runs into the room in full-on pout mode. She clings to her dad. “I hate Scotch*. I hate cupcakes.”

“If you don’t calm down and get to bed that’s what you’re eating when you wake up tomorrow,” the dad says.

She pouts. I smile. My kind of parenting.

Monday I go to yoga class with one of my new favorite teachers. I lurch around the edges of the reception area, waiting for a break in the flow of students. I have read every flyer twice already. I’ve told at least three people, that no, I’m not waiting for the bathroom, just loitering like a stalker. Finally I see my chance. I swoop in close.

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m 14 weeks pregnant,” I say. I want to throw a second trimester gang sign. Does such a thing exist? I should get myself to a prenatal yoga class to find out. Of course the yogis call it a prenatal mudra.

The teacher claps. “Oh congratulations! That’s great!”

“Thank you,” I say, feeling suddenly bashful. I’m still getting used to accepting congrats on this account. I haven’t figured out how to do so without feeling embarrassed or like waving it away (“Aw, it’s no big deal.”)

“Is this your first?” She asks.

My mind skitters about. I hate this question. Well, yeah, sorta, I mean not my first pregnancy. Actually my third pregnancy but the first time we made it this far. First live child? Yeah, damn, I sure hope so. I feel compelled to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but whenever asked this question. For one, I want any fellow members of Miscarriage World to know that I’m down, I’ve been there, I feel your pain. For another, I feel weird acting like Purvis is my first houseguest like it dishonors the brief but powerful memories of the Peabodies: Primo and Dewey.

The question hangs. “Is this your first?”

I lean in closer. “Yes, well, we had some losses before but this is the first time we’ve made it this far.” Hmmm…that sounds suitably hopeful enough and not too convoluted, right?

The teacher doesn’t blink. “So there are some modifications…”

(G-d willing) this will become a more common occurrence as we start to spread the Purvis word far and wide. Maybe the dilemma will begin to fade. I will find ease in smiling and thanking people for their congratulations without the bummer-ness squeezing my insides. I am not alone in my dilemma. Ruby is right there with me. Another reminder that most joy does not come without complication.

Random

How many calories does giving birth burn? Now that I’m packing on some pounds and feeling chunky such questions plague my mind.

*No children were fed Scotch over the course of this family friendly weekend. I believe she hates Scotch on principle.

2 comments:

Clambeard said...

Scotch & cupcakes. The breakfast of champions.

TRISTA said...

Thanks for the disclaimer on scotch!

About the calories and gaining pounds---do your absolute best not to worry at all about it!!! It's a terrible burden for pregnant women to bear. You'll grow to fit the houseguest, and it will all melt away thanks to powerful post-delivery hormones, your yoga practice, and your super healthy eating habits (I've witnessed these healthy habits...downright annoying!)

I think your answer to "Is this your first" was great--because who knows when you're speaking to someone who's been there, too. As long as it doesn't bum you out too much, I'm glad you bring it up.